How Long Does it Take for Breast Augmentation Incisions to Heal?
The goal of breast augmentation surgery in Dallas, TX is usually to have perkier, fuller breasts. Breast implants give patients more shape and size, allowing them to feel more confident about their looks. At Kevin R. Hanz, M.D. Aesthetic Plastic Surgery in Dallas, TX, board-certified plastic surgeon Dr. Kevin Hanz will create a customized surgical plan to meet your needs and explain what you can expect with your breast augmentation surgery, including the recovery. Women in Dallas, TX who are considering this cosmetic procedure should know that proper healing is an integral part of the process, including caring for your incisions. Read on to learn more about breast augmentation incision healing from the acclaimed team at Kevin R. Hanz, M.D. Aesthetic Plastic Surgery.
Breast augmentation near me and getting the best results
One of the foremost questions on the minds of most Dallas, TX area patients before undergoing breast augmentation surgery is how their recovery will be. Many factors determine how breast augmentation will go, including the implants' size, location of the incisions, patients adhering to post-operative instructions, and surgical care. The skill level of your plastic surgeon is crucial to getting the right results. Dr. Hanz is a board-certified plastic surgeon and a leading breast augmentation expert with his vast knowledge and surgical experience performing this transformative procedure.
Breast augmentation incision types
When it comes to breast enhancement surgery, women often feel overwhelmed and confused when selecting a breast implant size and type while researching different surgical techniques. The outcome is determined by a series of choices that the patient will make with a plastic surgeon's counsel during the planning process. Besides breast implant size and shape, researching the different breast augmentation incisions is recommended to be better informed before surgery. The following are four options:
- A periareolar incision is made near the lower half of the areola and reduces potential scarring.
- An inframammary incision is placed in the crease under the breast and ideal for silicone implants.
- Transaxillary incision is a small incision placed in the armpit.
- Trans-umbilical (TUBA) incision is a small incision in the navel area where the surgeon dissects a tunnel toward the breast area and is not an option for silicone implants.
How do you take care of breast augmentation incisions?
Most women usually get their breast augmentation procedure done in the morning, spend a few hours in the recovery area, and then return home to start the healing process. Breast augmentation recovery usually takes about 6 – 8 weeks, with some pain and tenderness with breast augmentation incisions for about 2 – 3 weeks. Though taking care of breast augmentation incisions is relatively straightforward, the expert team at Kevin R. Hanz, M.D. Aesthetic Plastic Surgery will provide post-operative instructions. Here are some steps to follow to ensure a more straightforward healing process:
- In the weeks leading up to surgery, stop taking ibuprofen or aspirin, gradually step down your dosage of herbal supplements, and do not smoke.
- After surgery, your breast augmentation incisions will be red and swollen for several weeks, but breast augmentation incisions will soften and fade over time. Dr. Hanz will advise on whether you should massage them or apply a topical ointment as they heal.
- For the first 48 hours, you can apply ice packs to the breast area to provide comfort but make sure your incisions stay dry. Do not immerse your incisions in water until fully healed, so avoid swimming or taking a bath for about three weeks.
- Avoid activities that could put undue stress on the sutures, like raising your arms above your head. Avoid washing your hair or reaching for items on a shelf to reduce the risk of your stitches pulling out and your incisions reopening.
- Continue to wear your special post-operative support bra until cleared by Dr. Hanz.
As long as you closely follow your post-operative instructions, your breast augmentation recovery should be a smooth and easy process. To learn more about breast enhancement surgery, types of breast implants, and the recovery process and caring for breast augmentation incisions, schedule a personal consultation with board-certified plastic surgeon Dr. Kevin Hanz at Kevin R. Hanz, M.D. Aesthetic Plastic Surgery in Dallas, TX.